Re: ppp server setup under openbsd 2.7

* Clarence Chan <ein_(_at_)_hkstar_(_dot_)_com> [001024 02:14]:
> I tried the interact mode ppp to test the ppp server at other side.  When
> the CD light of the modem is on, there is garbage appear and the system
> didn't have any login prompt.  I simply don't know what to do.  Can you
> help? Thanks

Clarence, it has been a while since I have played with modems, but
garbage on screen normally meant one of several things -- bad phone line
(ie, line noise), or the two modems have different ideas of bits, speed,
stop bits, or parity. This should be easy enough to test. Call a local
BBS with your modem and see if there is garbage. If so, try changing the
bits, speed, stop bits, and parity to see if you can get the noise to go
away. (Most modems will auto-speed handshake, and 8N1 seems the most
popular settings...)

Of course, it could also be the PPP protocol trying to do its stuff,
but, at least after testing these things, you know the problem is in the
PPP stuff. :)

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all really
impressed down here, I can tell you.''