[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

PPPoE CVS as of Oct 24 - testing & troubleshooting



Hi all,

I took an hour or so to troubleshoot this PPPoE problem some more.

I have modem access to a system with a DSL line, so can play fairly 
easily, I just don't have as much time as I'd like, I'm working two 
jobs right now....<sigh>

The DSL connection is 100 % reliable using the NetBSD "der Mouse" PPPoE 
implementation that is VERY rough.  It's been running 8 days continous
with no problems under moderate load @ my client's site.

A derMouse PPPoE ftp consistantly gets:
X11.tar.gz:                        ETA:   9:59    4.43/ 35.38 MB   52.95 kB/s

NEXT---I checked out the latest cvs ( Tue Oct 24 00:30:54 MDT 2000 ). 

I re-introduced some of Jason's & my changes to use syslog debugging.

*** HOW CAN I GET MY SYSLOG enhancements to PPPoE into the main tree?
    ( It was inititated by the author & continued by me ).

I see that bpf_to_ppp has been modified to ignore "ENOBUF" errors, and
that seems to have prevented the PPPoE link from terminating, which is 
a great step forward.

Stock PPPoE ( with syslog debugging ) FTP file transfer gets about 20K/s less.
than the derMouse implementation:
X11.tar.gz:                        ETA:  16:42    2.90/ 35.38 MB   33.17 kB/s
( and this is about 1 minute after the one using the "derMouse" PPPoE )

The PPPoE debugging message:
Oct 24 01:53:19 bastion pppoe[17181]: Starting Debug at level: 6
Oct 24 01:56:44 bastion pppoe[17181]: writev in bpf_to_ppp failed with errno=55
Oct 24 01:57:12 bastion last message repeated 162 times
Oct 24 01:59:16 bastion last message repeated 2002 times
Oct 24 02:00:02 bastion last message repeated 775 times
Oct 24 02:00:02 bastion pppoe[17181]: writev in bpf_to_ppp failed with errno=55
Oct 24 02:00:33 bastion last message repeated 871 times
Oct 24 02:02:36 bastion last message repeated 2058 times

Ad The PPP log file is giving the following errors, though this might
be a red-herring.  However, I have not seen these in my logfile before.

Oct 24 01:55:20 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 1, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Oct 24 01:56:20 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 1, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Oct 24 01:57:21 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 194, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Oct 24 01:58:21 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 353, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Oct 24 01:59:22 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 426, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Oct 24 02:00:24 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 458, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0
Oct 24 02:01:24 bastion ppp[11496]: Phase: deflink: HDLC errors -> FCS: 0, ADDR: 380, COMD: 0, PROTO: 0

Where should I go from here.  I am more than willing to help troubleshoot
this problem before the 2.8 release, because I see that PPPoE ( as disgusting
as it is ) appears to be a fairly popular way to implement a DSL connection.

Thanks,
--
	Steve Williams, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
	Genie Computer Systems Inc.
	steve_(_at_)_genie96_(_dot_)_com

"A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is 
 no longer indispensable."
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd ( 1888-1957 )




Visit your host, monkey.org