Re: OpenBSD/Errata/BUGTraq et al.

* Christian Weisgerber <naddy_(_at_)_mips_(_dot_)_inka_(_dot_)_de> [001017 09:33]:
> This is patently false.  You can introduce limited userland updates,
> which is no different from OpenBSD or any other unix.  The Debian
> package management is very slick, but it can't work magic.

"Limited" -- I think the only thing you cannot change is 'init'. One can
upgrade the gnu libc on the fly, one can upgrade any daemons while they
are running.. Any process that can be stopped and restarted can be
upgraded without a reboot.

As for the kernel, with LKM, some pieces of the kernel can be upgraded
on the fly as well. A new kernel can be installed while the old one is
running, and the next reboot will start it.

I have upgraded from Debian 2.0 (kernel 2.0, libc5, iirc) to 2.1 (kernel
2.2, glibc 2.0) to 2.2 (running kernel 2.4.0-test, glibc 2.1) without
any issues. Going straight from 2.0 to 2.2 works as well. There are
rumors of people upgrading from 1.x to 2.2 in one shot, but I haven't
done this myself. :)

The only reboot is for a new kernel.

I wish OpenBSD had enough developers to pull these sorts of stunts. :)
But, in the meantime, it works well enough for me. :)

Visit your host, monkey.org