slip, ppp, and the fine line inbetween

I can't seem to find much in the way of references to this on the
archives, so I'll post the question now:

I've got the house wired up with OpenBSD (2.7) on a machine as a
firewall (i.e. sees the outside world).  All's well with my ethernet
machines, but I'd like to be able to connect a Redhat-running laptop to
the firewall box.  I'm running into more idiot-esque problems getting an
IP-capable serial connection than I'd ever expected.

I'm pretty confident that there's nothing wrong with the hardware, and
I've had some success pinging back and forth under esoteric (and
seemingly, unrepeatable) circumstances.  I know what I'm doing wrong --
I can't get slip or pppd to behave right -- but I can't seem to find the
right documentation that tells me how to remedy.

Under the (perhaps misguided) impression that the *BSD's are similar
enough, I tried the instructions found here:

http://www.mclink.it/personal/MG2508/nbsdeng/chap-net.html#AEN2235

Following these, the OpenBSD machine doesn't ping the Redhat machine,
although the Redhat machine seems to find the OpenBSD machine (but won't
let me use any services except for ping... no ssh, etc).

I've tried similar stuff with ppp, but I seem to be bumping into the
same problems.

What am I getting wrong?  ifconfig?  route?

I also can't seem to find any documented advantages to using ppp over
slip, or vice-versa.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
-m@

--
| Matthew V. Sendak                        m_(_at_)_procyon_(_dot_)_com |
| "Sex. Drugs. Rock & Roll. (must be an election year)" /h

Visit your host, monkey.org