Re: obsd: nothing but trouble on ...

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 04:20:48PM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> gaw zay wrote:
> >
> > I have a stack of these laying around and I have tried obsd installs on 4
> > of them. On all of them there is weirdness. obsd freezes up after a short
> > time on all of them, sometimes you can still ping the machine but can't
> > use the console or log in remotly or even use a simple network service
> > such as finger. This happens [the freezes] when I do certain things like
> > this:
> >

> Right, I get exactly the same problem on my -current box (P-III, 256mb
> ram, TritonII, 40gb EIDE RAID-1 via Duplidisk).
>
> I've pinned it down to be reproducable whenever I SCP around five large files
> across to it.  Completely freezes down to the console, but is still
> pingable.
>
> Now that it's a reproducable fault, I'll try to pin it down to exactly
> where the problem is.  It's quite hard though, given that the darn
> console freezes up too.  Anyone give me tips on any verbose kernel output
> I can enable to help track the problem down?

I noticed the same thing on my PII-350 with 128MB and AHA-2940UW.
After about 10 minutes (sometimes more, sometimes less) the
keyboard becomes unresponsive. The system is still working
(I started a kernel compile and the system still compiled fine
after the keyboard dies) I didn't really investigate the cause of
the problem but found out that starting X avoids the problem. The
keyboard doesn't lock up in X.

Regards
Martin
--
Remember, God could only create the world in 6 days because he didn't
have an established user base.