Re: cryptic netcat

...on Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:46:40AM +0100, John Wright wrote:

 > On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 11:44:06AM +0200, Alexandre Dulaunoy wrote:
 > > > The difference being that you need a login on the destination box.
 > > That's not true, you can keep key with ssh-agent and using standard script
 > > with scp & so on without typing any password. (i use it everyday).
 > No.  It is true.  You *have* to login to another box.  ssh-agent just means
 > you don't have to enter a password or passphrase.  I use ssh-agent too.

Create a new ssh identity with an empty passphrase and put the
public key in the authorized_keys on the destination machine.

use ssh -i ~/.ssh/key -o BatchMode=yes remotehost

You will not be asked for a passphrase and you don't need ssh-agent
(if you can live with unprotected keys).

I think the risk is acceptable with restricted-use logins that
for example just run a specific program (man sshd and look for
the options in authorized_keys).

Alex.