ulimit & related things

I'm hoping someone would be so kind as to help me out with some things.

I've got a good deal of people C++ programming on my OpenBSD box, and I'm
trying to limit how much resources they use.

It was my understanding that this is what ulimit was for, but damned if I
can get it to keep any values. And will this limit only whats spawned from
the sh shell?

And if the above is way outta whack, could someone suggest something I
could do to stop people from inadvertantly (or otherwise) taking down my
poor box.

Thanks
Chris