Re: Softupdates makes the system freeze!

Hans Insulander <hin_(_at_)_stacken_(_dot_)_kth_(_dot_)_se> wrote:

> I run soft updates on most of my machines, and it's rock solid. However,
> you need at least 64 megs of ram, or you will most likely run into troubles.

On 2.7/i386, large removal operations ("rm -r /usr/src") cause soft
updates to crash, leaving the file system in a recoverable but
rather sorry state.  Large numbers of files that were to be deleted
show up in lost+found.  Apparently the crash happens between
unreferencing and actually clearing the inodes.

We learned this the hard way on our anoncvs machine.

I have no idea whether this is fixed in -current.