snort question

Hello folks,

I just installed snort from the ports, and created a ruleset.  When I do

snort -c /etc/snort.rules

I get:

[!] ERROR:Can not get write to logging directory /var/log/snort.
(directory doesn't exist or permissions are set incorrectly)

There is no /var/log/snort, so I created it.  I gave write permission to group
first and then write permission to all.  I still get the same error message.
Does anyone run snort, and is kindly willing to tell me what the chmod for that
directory supposed to be?

Thanks in Advance
Emre

--