From: owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org [mailto:owner-misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org]On Behalf Of
Brian Willan
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2000 3:39 PM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: pppoe woes

Greetings

I am trying to get my OpenBSD 2.7 firewall box to properly use NAT with
my adsl connections.  I have read through the archives and found the
following instructions on how to setup the ppp.conf file.  I have been
able to get that to work.  However for some reason, I can't web out from
a machine hooked to my internal network.  I was able to check email,
ftp, read newsgroups et al, but no web.  My ipf rules are wide open.  I
am wondering if someone has a solution to my problem of getting my box
to properly act as a internet gateway/ firewall.

Cheers

Brian Willan

PPPoE instructions:

download www.thought.net/jason/pppoe/pppoe.tar.gz

add the follow lines to /etc/ppp/ppp.conf :

default:

set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
nat enable yes
nat same_ports yes
nat use_sockets yes
set redial 15 28800
set reconnect 15 28800
disable acfcomp
deny acfcomp
disable protocomp
set mru 1492
set mtu 1492
set speed sync
enable lqr
set lqrperiod 5
set cd 5
set dial
set login
set timeout 0
set authname xxx
set authkey xxx
set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
add default HISADDR
enable dns

Then, ifconfig <interface> 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 -arp

after run pppoe -i <interface> & and boom, it assigns
tun0 an ip address.