Re: OpenBSD firewall on CD

"V. T. Mueller" <vtmue_(_at_)_uni-freiburg_(_dot_)_de> writes:

> On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, chuck yerkes wrote:
>
> > Sure, it's slow, it's been beated to death in the past. Perhaps an
> > IDE hardrive (200MB) that is PINNED readonly
>
> According to our experience, most oftenly used CD-ROMs die after ~2
> years. A read-only switched harddisc might be a much better choice,
> although I doubt if IDE is the best candidate for it...
>
> If money is of secondary importance, you may want to to use a SBC
> with a disc-on-chip on it.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but recent
bootloaders for OpenBSD (since 2.6 or so) didn't work (system locks up
with no diagnostics) on two flash IDE setups we tried. Other loaders
and OSs worked ok.

Maybe a conflict between boot code and flash BIOS extensions - haven't
had time to look into it yet.

Visit your host, monkey.org