boot problem - hardware?

I've been working off and on over the past couple of weeks with a new
i386 system on which 2.7 is installed.  Had no problems whatsoever
until yesterday, when out of the blue, the box started having problems
booting up.  I worked with it this afternoon for awhile, during which
time I must have rebooted 15 or 20 times at the very least.  Out of
that number about three boots were successful but the rest hung.  I've
attached dmesg.txt from one of the successful boots as a reference.

Early this pm, the typical boot ended like this:
pctr: user-level cycle counter enabled
mtrr: K6-family MTRR support (2 registers)
root on wd0a
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300  rawdev=0x302
panic: cannot open disk, 0x0/0x300, error 6
Stopped at  _Debugger+0x4: leave
ddb>

So I booted from the installation floppy, got to a shell, and fsck'd
all the slices (wd0a, wd0d, wd0e, etc.) and there were no errors
reported.  Not long after, I rebooted using the floppy again and this
time got only this far:
biomask 4040 netmask 4460  ttymask 4462
rd0: fixed, 3560 blocks

Later on, after trying to reboot from the hard drive several times, I
booted from the floppy yet again and got to a shell, from which I
tried to fsck the slices once more, but this time got the message that
device /dev/wd0a was not configured.  Same for all the others (wd0d,
wd0e, etc.)

By the end of the afternoon, booting from the hard drive always ended
here:
pctr: user-level cycle counter enabled
mtrr: K6-family MTRR support (2 registers)

At this point I can't boot the system using either the installation
floppy or CD.  They both end here:
biomask 4040 netmask 4460  ttymask 4462
rd0: fixed, 3560 blocks

I'm suspecting a hardware problem might be the cause of this
difficulty but wanted to see if anyone else has had this type of
problem and might be able to offer some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks very much.
Ben Bullock