Install hang on 486

On a old HP Vectra VE 486/66 with three NICs (ne3, tl0, ep0).
The configuration seems relatively standard, with nothing major
(AFAIK) coming up during the floppy boot.  Install of 2.6
goes smooth until the "Making all Device Nodes" where it
appears to just hang.  I left the thing overnight last night
to find a non-responsive system.  Just disabled the Power
Mgmt crap in BIOS and retried the install, hoping that was
the issue, but it has been stuck there for awhile now.....

I can still ping the machine...should I keep waiting?
Is there anything that I can do to further discern where
it is crapping out?

Thanks much
James

Visit your host, monkey.org