From: Jeff Bachtel [mailto:sebastion_(_at_)_irelandmail_(_dot_)_com]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2000 11:37 AM
To: misc_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org
Subject: Re: SSH - secure by default?

There are only 2 reasons to not allow root logins through telnet

1) sniffability
   does NOT apply to ssh

2) bad root passwords (depends on physical security of machine)
   stupid bad and dumb anyway. If you have a bad root password, you
are owned, and that is that

so, permitting root logins through ssh is not a decrease in security

[this lays aside theoretical means to crack snooped ssh password
authentication schemes]

jeff

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 10:54:52PM +0900, SUZUKI Hitoshi wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 06:08:26AM -0700, Theo de Raadt wrote:
> > I actually think it is rare for direct security improvements (ssh vs
> > telnet/rlogin) to affect useability, but this is one of those cases,
> > and useability does not compromise security mechanism or sane policy
> > in this case.
>
> With, default setting of sshd (/etc/sshd_config of OpenBSD's)
> PasswordAuthentication
> PermitEmptyPasswords
> PermitRootLogin
> are all yes. So, default sshd's setting is much like
> telnetd with '... network secure' on /etc/ttys.
> So default setting of sshd is not as good as telnetd's. X-<
>
> --
> sigh_(_at_)_net_(_dot_)_nagasaki-u_(_dot_)_ac_(_dot_)_jp
> sigh_(_at_)_kuzirabekon_(_dot_)_econ_(_dot_)_nagasaki-u_(_dot_)_ac_(_dot_)_jp
> Faculty of Economics, Nagasaki Univ.

Visit your host, monkey.org