BSD vs. GPL

Interesting that this topic came up now, as I've been trying to explain the
difference to some people I work with.  I think I've come up with a reasonable
explaination of the two.

Both strive to keep the software available.  The GPL approach is
paternalistic,
in that it specifically tries to prevent certain situations from occuring.
The BSD approach is more anarchistic.  It flat out says that the code is
available and then gets out of the way.

Although I can appreciate the ideas behind the GPL, the BSD way is better;
simple is better.

(we are pretty off track now from misc)

--STeve Andre'
andres_(_at_)_msu_(_dot_)_edu