HD probing fails on old computer

     Hi

   I've recently put my hands on an old DEC PC (486/dx2) which used to be
my computer at a previous work. I'm trying to install OpenBSD on this
machine, but the GENERIC kernel supplied with the boot floppy doesn't find
the Hard Disk attached. The computer Hardware: It's a DEC PC XL
(486/dx2) with on board SCSI (NCR 53C810) and 8MB RAM (only until I get
more RAM for it). The boot sequence gives the following information:

BIOS:

DECpc XL 486DX2 Version 1.01
Copyright (C) 1993 Digital Equipment Corporation
All Rights Reserved

NCR SDMS (TM) V3.0 53C810 SCSI BIOS, PCI Rev. 2.0
Copyright 1993 NCR Corporation.
PCI20-3.01.04
ID 00   MAXTOR  7345-SCSI

OpenBSD boot:

reading boot.......
probing: pc0 com0 com1 pci mem[635K 7M a20=on]
disk: fd0 hd0
>> OpenBSD/i386 BOOT 1.23
boot>

running the command: `machine diskinfo` give the following lines:
DISK	BIOS#	Type	Cyls	Heads	Secs	Flags	Checksum
fd0	0x0	floppy	80	2	18	0x2	0x0
hd0	0x80	SCSI	1024	10	60	0x2	0xf54162b9

The GENERIC kernel gives the following line about the adapter udring boot:
"Symbios Logic 53c810" rev 0x01 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 not configured

Then the kernel goes on probing and finding devices, but fails to find the
HD.

running boot -c and removing various devices from the config causes the
kernel to not find the SCSI host adapter at all. Can anyone help me solve
this problem. I really want to put OpenBSD on the computer.

TIA

	Paolo

Visit your host, monkey.org