Followup on cc1 got fatal signal 11

Thanks to all who responded.  I've done a bit more research and have
more to report.

Several people pointed me at http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/, which was
useful.  However, I believe that this is not the problem.

1. Thermal?  I shut the machine down right after having some problems.
The CPU is cool to the touch.  Given that the max temp rating is
around 70C, I guess the CPU fan is (still) doing its job.

2. Memory?  I went and bought new memory (replacing the old) and
the problem did not change.

3. Bus timing, etc issues?  This machine was running FreeBSD since it
was built in June of 1996.  This includes kernel builds etc.  I just
switched it to OpenBSD because I wanted IPsec.

Finally, I can reproduce the problem.  It is always running into this
problem at the same place.  I did not notice this before, because I was
trying to build several ports.  I settled on one for testing (mrtg,
which needs freetype, which is where the problem occurs).

There's a dd command at the sig11 web page and this does not change
things.  (Another implication that this is not HW)

Here's the exact message:
cc -c -O2 -I. -I..  -I/usr/ports/print/freetype/work/freetype-1.2/lib/arch/unix/../..  -I/usr/ports/print/freetype/work/freetype-1.2/lib/arch/unix/../../extend -DLOCALEDIR=\"\" -DTT_MAKE_OPTION_SINGLE_OBJECT -fPIC -DPIC /usr/ports/print/freetype/work/freetype-1.2/lib/arch/unix/../../arch/unix/freetype.c
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11

This happens here every time.

Other suggestions?

Kenneth