Re: XFree86 on OpenBSD

I decided to dump the output of XFree to a file and then I was able to see what the problem was. Monitor specs were too low. I went back and selected an appropriate monitor config and now everything is ok.

You wrote (in your message from Monday 20)
> I have OpenBSD 2.5 running on a 486 (box I described earlier). The machine
> has 20 MB of RAM and a Trident ISA video card with a TVGA9000B chip. I
> successfully configured and tested the card with the XF86 configuration
> program and set it to 640x480, 8bpp, but when I run startx, it says,
>
> (--) SVGA: There is no mode definition named "640x480"
>
> Fatal server error:
> No valid modes found.
>

> and then it quits. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Look at your /etc/XF86Config file and the full output of the
server. Either the "640x480" mode line is not included in
/etc/XF86Config, or it is rejected by the SVGA server for some reason
(which is probably listed above the error line you're quoting here).

-- Matthieu