expr dumping core on 2.6 i386

Hi,

I'm setting up a brand new box (P-III 500, 256 MB, UW SCSI) with OpenBSD
2.6. The machine was blank when I got it, so this is a new install. I
installed all the sets available, including sslib (intl) so this is a
complete system. The system is running the generic kernel provided by the
install.

When I try to build a kernel, I get this error near the end of the build:

sh ../../../../conf/newvers.sh
Memory fault (core dumped)

Sure enough, the directory contains an expr.core file. I tried using
sendbug(1) to file a report:

rain:~> sendbug
Memory fault (core dumped)
/usr/bin/sendbug[418]: [: 0: unexpected operator/operand
awk: syntax error at source line 3
 context is
                    if ((++i % >>>  ) <<<
awk: illegal statement at source line 3
awk: syntax error at source line 3
Memory fault (core dumped)
/usr/bin/sendbug[418]: [: 0: unexpected operator/operand
awk: syntax error at source line 3
 context is
                    if ((++i % >>>  ) <<<
awk: illegal statement at source line 3
awk: syntax error at source line 3
sendbug: problem report not filled out, therefore not sent
rain:~>

rain:~> gdb /bin/expr expr.core
GNU gdb 4.16.1
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-openbsd2.6"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
Core was generated by `expr'.
#0  0xfbd1 in ?? ()
(gdb)

(I tried doing a 'bt' in gdb, but there was far too much output to include
here)

Any ideas? Do I have a problem with the RAM in the system (brand new)? Or
could this error indicate something else? Note that the system has been up
for 4 days with no other apparant problems and that a kernel build (which
I assume is memory intensive) completed without any gcc errors.

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2

Visit your host, monkey.org