RE: Cablemodem

Hi Ben,

 I've got a cablemodem using OBSD as a gateway. It was amazingly easy to set
up... I have xl0 plugged into the modem, xl1 on my network.

in /etc/hostname.xl0 i put the string "dhcp"

When my machines boots, it automatically does a dhcp request and then the
routing table and the rest of the networking magic gets set up
automatically.

 If you've got a static IP, then you'll have to set the routes up by
yourself. Here's a hint though.... When you go through the install
procedure, make sure you give the networking parameters for your static IP.
That takes care of it for you also.(I did this with my DSL connection at
work).

 Reading the Networking FAQ really helps also. Thanks to that there is not
much I can't do with OBSD and ethernet/IP.

Good luck,
Patrick Ethier
patrick_(_at_)_secureops_(_dot_)_com