/dev/psm0 under XFree

Weirdness abounds.  I have just installed 2.6 with no
modifications/recompiles/etc.  The problem I am having is I can start
XFree.  The Pointer is configured to be PS/2 and /dev/psm0, nothing
will happen if I move the mouse or click the buttons.  I then quit X,
su to root, cat /dev/psm0 to see if it is getting mouse events and it
spews out characters and spaces when I move the mouse and click the
buttons.  I then exit as root, startx again, and the mouse works.  Any
ideas?

-danimal

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist,
the glass is half-empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice
as big as it needs to be.