Re: Replacing Cisco 2500 with OpenBSD router?

Eugene Bobin <gene_(_at_)_utb_(_dot_)_ru> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 03:32:11PM -0500, Michael Garcia wrote:

> > I'd like to find out if it's worth trying to replace a Cisco 2500
> > (and if possible the CSU/DSU) that is used for 56K digital and
> > 128K frame relay connections with an OpenBSD router. It wouldn't
> > be for heavy traffic. I've heard of the Sangoma WANpipe
> > http://www.sangoma.com though it seems that they are more actively
> > supporting Linux.

> Hmm, In my strong opinion OpenBSD will not have all that
> functionality that ciscos have. As I understand you want replace
> cisco for security reasons. So, why don't you just put OpenBSD
> behind cisco.. Let them to do each other's work.. It might be seems
> a little bit weird, but in that case you'll get paranoid failsafe
> configuration.. I mean 2 defense levels.. so, if your cisco will be
> compromised, OpenBSD still will be protecting your LAN.

We use OpenBSD and FreeBSD for routers all over our network.
Latency per hop is on the order of a millisecond and CPU load is
rarely noticeable, even on busy 100 mbps LAN nets.

We ran an ETinc HDLC ISA card with FreeBSD for over a year to our
Internet T1 without a hitch.

It's partly a matter of what you're comfortable with. We run a lot of
BSD so there isn't much added admin cost in BSD routers. Most of our
admin team is better with Unix than with IOS.

I'll echo the original poster's question and add: is anyone using the
LMC1200P (another integrated CSU/DSU HDLC card for PCI, but with
claims of support for OpenBSD)?

  http://www.lanmedia.com/prod16.htm

Just saw the website - looks tempting...
--
Hal Snyder
Vail Systems, Inc

Visit your host, monkey.org