Re: IP-Address without Network Interface installed

> > 1st: is it possible to have OpenBSD 2.5 configured for a special IP-Address
> > even if the normaly connected Network Interface Card (I use a Laptop) is
> > removed?
>
> Yes, the config files can be there. If you remove the card you'll only notice
> a boot warning

and you can add IP addresses to a network interface.
e.g., you can assign any addresses to loopback interface (lo0, lo1, ...)

(example) /sbin/ifconfig lo0 10.0.0.1 alias

which responds even if no physical network interface exist;
useful for debugging programs using network.

> > 2nd: when I recently installed OpenBSD 2.5 on my laptop I noticed the
> > beg to send some message to any address; I suppose it was dmesg | mail ?
> > If you could tell me which address and which message, I would like to
> > transmit this information.

4.0 - Installation Guide <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html>
  4.7 - Sending your dmesg to dmesg_(_at_)_openbsd_(_dot_)_org after the install
  <http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html#4.7>

-- yozo.

Visit your host, monkey.org