Sound Volume

Whenever I play cd's or mp3's the volume is very quite no matter how
high I put the speaker volume. I had this problem on the last
installation, and somebody told me the command to adjust the internal
volume. I have however forgotten the command. I know it is something
like 'audioctl -w play.somthing=255'. I am unsure of the correct field.
If anyone knows I would appreciate it greatly if you would let me know.
Thanks.

--Ben Shirani (rooster_(_at_)_stic_(_dot_)_net)