Re: Another list? (was Linux vs. NT Security contest)

> If we had an indexed repository of HOW-TO's, or the like, it would
> be very helpful.

I might be wrong about this, but there seems to be a consensus among
OpenBSD developers that docs ought to be folded into the man page
system.  In particular, Linux style HOWTOs seem to be discouraged.

Can someone explain the thinking behind this to me?  Or set me
straight if I'm wrong?

I think that most Linux users would agree that HOWTOs are the most
useful docs for that OS.  I remember when the Linux Documentation
Project was focusing on books (ie., the Network Administrator's
Guide), and the HOWTOs were seen as stopgaps.  Now the books are
stagnant and almost never consulted, while the HOWTOs are the core
system docs.  They've got a good track record.  Users like them, and
they get the job done.

Obviously there are reasons why things are the way they are...  I'm
not trying to rock the boat, but I am curious what those reasons are.

Visit your host, monkey.org