Re: Accessing ext2fs partitions on an extended partition (x86 platform)

Justin Wojdacki wrote:

> I've waded through the FAQ and archives and haven't found much to
> explain this yet. I'm running on x86 right now and I'm in the process of
> migrating from Linux (Redhat) to OpenBSD. Unfortunately I'm having
> problems accessing some of the ext2fs partitions. I have OpenBSD on a
> SCSI HDD, and Linux is spanned across a pair of IDE drives. Both IDE
> drives have extended partitions on them and OpenBSD crashes when I try
> to access them. Is there a particular way I should be trying to access
> these partitions? I really want to get the data off of there (as they
> include /usr, /usr/local, and /home) before I reincarnate them under
> another filesystem. Any tips or pointers would be recommended.
> Unfortunately I don't have the exact error message, as I had to boot
> into Linux to research the problem. Same goes for dmesg output. I end up
> getting an error message that talks about a bad number of some kind.
> I'll try to write it down so I can pass it along, in case it's of any
> help.
>
> Justin Wojdacki
> jwojdacki_(_at_)_earthlink_(_dot_)_net

Some extra info:

First off, I think I was doing something else very bad (or dumb) that
was causing OpenBSD to crash, not the attempt to mount the linux
partition sitting in an extended partition.

Second, here are the error messages:

Disklabel indicates that the partitions within the extended partition
extend past the end of the unit.

mount_ext2fs returns this set of information:

Wrong magic number: ffff (expected ef53 for ext2 fs) or wrong revision
number: fffffffff (expected 0 for ext2 fs)

mount_ext2fs: /dev/wd0l on /linux/usr: Inappropriate filetype or format

What immediately comes to my mind is that mount_ext2fs is attempted to
mount a partition that it sees as being of type "Extended DOS", and so
it quits. I'm not sure how to get around this though. Any ideas?