Very wierd kernel problem

I decided to reboot today, since I had gotten the new kernel source tree
and compiled /bsd. Well, everything loaded fine, but I was sort of suprised
when I got this:

(last lines of dmesg)

root on wd0a
pctr: 686-class user-level performance counters enabled
dkcsum: wd0 matched BIOS disk 80
rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302

<freeze>

Nothing happens after this.  I am used to the rc scripts starting, but it
doesnt even touch the hard drive.  Just sits there.  BTW, alt+control+F(x)
works, switches to virtual terminal but doesnt show the prompt (as login
hasnt started....)

I tried bsd.GENERIC, the kernel that came with the 2.5 CD, since I had
backed that up on my hard drive.  Nothing. Just the same output of the
newest one, then the freeze.

Any ideas?

Visit your host, monkey.org