tape drive compression

Sorry if this isn't strictly an Openbsd question, but I'm presently
setting up a Sony 50G (25 native) AIT tape drive on a i386 running openbsd
2.4 and I'm wondering how others using similar drives deal with hardware
compression.  As far as I can tell there are no software flags to turn
hardware compression on and off, just the dip switches on the drive
itself.  I'm assuming that whether or not hardware compression is being
used is irrelevant to tar, cpio or whatever is reading/writing to the
drive.  Am I correct in this assumption or are they going to choke?

---
Brian Carroll
carroll_(_at_)_mail_(_dot_)_chess_(_dot_)_cornell_(_dot_)_edu

Visit your host, monkey.org