/usr/lib/crt0.o: Undefined symbol `_main' referenced from text segment

When I attempt to compile various C code, i get the error

/usr/lib/crt0.o: Undefined symbol `_main' referenced from text segment

This happens when trying to compile a small python module I am coding.  I
am using the commandline

gcc -o rattlemodule.o rattlemodule.c -I/usr/local/include/python1.5
-L/usr/local/lib/python1.5 -lpython1.5.a

This is not the fault of the python library because it also happens when I
have tried to compile various WindowMaker doc apps that I used at one time
on my Linux machine.  The python module of course does not have, nor
should it have, a main() function.  As near as I can tell that may have
something to do with the situation.  Is ther some library I need to link
in?  Could it possibly be something else?  Input is appreciated.  Thanks.

Will Stockwell
waldo_(_at_)_antisocial_(_dot_)_net
www.antisocial.net/~waldo

Visit your host, monkey.org