boot probs?

Hi!

Thanks to Toby who helped me find what was wrong with my machine.
Turns out its BIOS was old and therefore buggy. I called ALR and
they pointed me to the latest BIOS version. I've now and reflashed
the BIOS. However, when I turned translation off, LBA on, and
set things normally, machine diskinfo still showed the BIOS as
giving out the bogus info (&'ing instead of compare and change.)
The boot still didn't work, giving me the same error.

Here are the #'s from machine diskinfo (they're the same as my last
posting...)

Disk	BIOS	Type	Cyl	Head	Sect	Fla	Cksum
hd0	0x80	ESDI	51	16	63	0x2	0xa352b65a

By turning translation on, re-running installboot, there still are
problems. (just a hunch....) With translation ON machine diskinfo
shows:

Disk	BIOS	Type	Cyl	Head	Sect	Fla	Cksum
hd0 	0x80	ESDI	524	64	63	0x2 	0xa352b65a

I could just scrap this IDE disk and use the SCSI disks in the
machine, but I wanted to use CCD on the SCSI disks and have this
IDE drive hold the OS.

Am I really up the creek when it comes to using an IDE disk on this box,
or is there some way around this?

-Jon

/  J. Joseph Max Katz                  jkatz_(_at_)_darpanet_(_dot_)_net        /
/  Chief Executive Officer             http://www.cpio.net       /
/  CPIO Networks                       (408) 569-7092            /
/  "Hardware designers stick to the ASICs..."        -Gale       /

Visit your host, monkey.org