Strange boot problems

OK. It's been a while since I asked a question :)

I have a system where I'm installing the basic filesystems on an
IDE disk wich has: 2100 cyl, 16 heads, 63 spt. However, machine
diskinfo (off the floppy) reports:

Disk	       C H  S
hd0 0x80 esdi 51 16 63 0x2 0xa352b65a

(actually, the output wasn't that ugly, but you get the idea...)
In addition, the SCSI disks are misrepresented as having 1023 cylanders,
except they have 3712!

I proceeded with the install, which went off without a hitch. installboot
installed and worked like a champ:

boot: /mnt/boot
proto: /usr/mdec/biosboot
device: /dev/wd0c
/usr/mdec/biosboot: entry point 0
proto bootblock size 512
room for 16 filesystem blocks at 0x177
installboot: read: /mnt/boot

BUT, when I try and boot off the hard disk, I get:

BOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR
Please insert another disk

I went ahead, installed os-bs thinking I had some MBR issues but to
no avail. I then booted off the floppy, mounted /dev/wd0a under mount
and ran:

/usr/mdec/installboot -v -h 16 -s 63 /mnt/boot /usr/mdec/biosboot wd0

This said:

boot: /mnt/boot
proto: /usr/mdec/biosboot
device: /dev/wd0c
/usr/mdec/biosboot: entry point 0
proto bootblock size 512
room for 16 filesystem blocks at 0x177
installboot: read: /mnt/boot

I rebooted, but still had the same problem. What am I forgetting? YES,
I turned off BIOS translation!

-Jon

Other specs on the box: 90Mhz P5, 1 GIG IDE disk, 2x 4 GIG SCSI disks,
Adaptec 2940 UW controller, PCI & EISA bus, DEC/Netgear 21140 NIC (PCI)
3com ep0 EISA NIC, S3 Mach64 Graphics card (PCI) I do have translation
turned off in the BIOS. In booting off the floppy, the ramdisk works fine
and the hard disk is found correctly by the kernel.

/  J. Joseph Max Katz                  jkatz_(_at_)_darpanet_(_dot_)_net        /
/  Chief Executive Officer             http://www.cpio.net       /
/  CPIO Networks                       (408) 569-7092            /
/  "Hardware designers stick to the ASICs..."        -Gale       /