Cross-compiler environment

Hello,

I've installed OpenBSD 2.2 on a i386 machine and I'm up and running.  I
installed the gnu sources from the CD and recompiled the i386 kernel and
rebooted successfully.  The next step is to build a cross compiler.  I
executed the following three steps in the /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils
directory:

1. ./configure --target=mips-unknown-elf --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
--prefix /usr/src/gnu

Result:
Configuring for a i386-unknown-openbsd2.2 host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils
configure: warning: Can't find Tcl configuration definitions

2. make LANGUAGES=c

3. make install

This all executed without apparent error.  When I look at the
/usr/src/gnu/bin directory I see the following files.

Each file has the prefix "mips-unknown-elf":
ar, as, c++filt, gasp, gdb, ld, nm, objcopy, objdump, ranlib, size,
strings, strip

My questions:

1. What name is given to the cross-compiler (I expected xgcc or
mips-unknown-elf-gcc)?    Did I build the cross-compiler correctly?

2. Once the "xgcc" issue is cleared up, are there any notes on how I
should setup my environment to use the cross compiler.  I want to build
the target /usr/src/sys/arch/arc/conf/P4032.  How would I go about doing
this.  My guess is edit ../arch/arc/conf/P4032/Makefile.arc and update
the location for AS, CC, CPP, LD, STRIP, and TOUCH.

Thanks!
Brad