printer woes

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get my HP DeksJet 660C to work
with openbsd.

I have configured the kernel to find the correct lpt device (irq 7
was located at lpt2 / 0x3bc, not the default lpt0 0x378).  I changed
/etc/printcap accordingly and added my hostname to /etc/hosts.lpd.  I
rearranged the file permissions on the spooler directory to
root/daemon.

The following happens when I try:

(xanax)> cat dmesg.pst | lpr

and

(xanax)> cat dmest.pst > /dev/lpt2

when I cat /var/spool/lpd/status, I get "printer is ready and
printing" (or something similar, I am on my NT box writing this
mail), and the printer spits out a couple of blank pages.  There is a
cf and df file for the job in the queue (lpq) but strangeness ensues.

Any enlightened response would be welcomed as I have absolutely no
experience setting up printers.

Also, on another strange note, now that I rebuilt my kernel changing
the location of irq 7, the only messages that dmesg gives me appear
to be PnP configuration lines.  No actual device cinfigurations are
listed.  They appear on screen during bootstrap, they just don't
appear when I dmesg.

.end

--

|---    xanax hangs out    ---|"And the trees about me, Let them
|---     @enteract.com     ---|be dry and leafless/ let the rocks
| Disclaimer:  If you are     |groan with continual surges/ and
| reading this, you have WAY  |behind me make all a desolation.
| too much time on your hands |Look, look, wenches!"   -T.S. Eliot

Visit your host, monkey.org