Trouble with rc.local on i386 port

Hi all-

I'm having a very odd problem with rc.local on the i386 port.
I need to run radiusd.dbm (radius server in database mode) and have
added the following lines to rc.local

if [ -f /usr/local/sbin/radiusd.dbm ]; then
	echo -n ' radiusd.dbm';	/usr/local/sbin/radiusd.dbm
fi

I reboot the machine,and in the startup messages see the line:

Starting local Daemons: radiusd.dbm

however a ps reveals that the daemon is not running.  I can start the daemon
by hand, and it works well.  Also running rc.local by hand (sh /etc/rc.local)
works.  No errors are reported by radius.

Does anyone have any idea why this daemon is not starting properly? I have
OpenBSD2.0 installed on 2 machines, and both exhibit the same behavior.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I also tried adding a shell identifier (#!/bin/sh) to the script,
and replacing the call to rc.local (in rc) with 'sh' instead of '.'
neither of which worked.

Tnx.