"make build" vs. OpenBSD/sun3

For my Sun3/60, the default data resource limit is too small to build
libc.  Any ideas how to fix this?  Maybe make(1) should check for and
correct this automatically.  Inevitably, I forget to "unlimit data"
and the build crashes.  Also, I am building from a symbolic link tree
and "make includes" fails since it installs dangling symbolic links in
/usr/include/machine.  I work around this by changing the src/Makefile
to cd into the real source tree before doing the includes.  This may
not be too hard to generalize.  Kerberos has worse problems; makefiles
deliberately "test -h" for certain source files and rm them if they
are symlinks.  I have just turned KERBEROS off rather than deal with
it.