vm improvements

There's been a lot of changes recently, but I'm going to point out two
of them.

I'd like to especially thank Niklas for his VM improvements, and
Thorsten for merging the FreeBSD malloc.  Niklas gets more points
because his work was much harder ;-)

I think that together these two changes are responsible for making my
little MVME147 card with only 4MB of ram, running nfs-diskless on a
68030 at 16MHz ... feel, well, it almost feels fast!

Really, I'm amazed at how much faster it feels after these changes.