Re: Liberal license for ancient UNIX sources

Greg Lehey <grog_(_at_)_lemis_(_dot_)_com> wrote:

> Well, consider that it includes the sources to the documentation that
> we haven't been allowed to distribute with the free BSD
> distributions.  We should be able to do that now.

You mean the gaps in /usr/share/doc/{psd,smm,usd}?  We're talking
20-year old documents here.

> Do you know Dion?  Your cynicism is somewhat out of place here.

Maybe you know Dion personally, and for all I know you may have
been involved in Caldera releasing this code, so you'll have a
different perspective.  Meanwhile, I'll go by what I see, and that's
an insulting press release.

So we all know what to expect from marketing speak and we shouldn't
care.  But if the bullshit is heaped up too high, my patience wears
thin.  Yes, invitations for comments are only rhetoric.  And usually
I just ignore all the crap.  I'm not sure if that's sufficient as
a message, though.

Caldera don't have anything to pride themselves for.  This code is
loot from a chain of sales and corporate takeovers.  It has been
of no value whatsoever to its license holders for so long that they
didn't even have it anymore.  Corporate lawyers have been sitting
on this beyond reason.  If anything, the whole affair has been a
confirmation for a degree of corporate America's greed you wouldn't
expect to see outside the rhetorics of Slashdot commentators.

And now Caldera's PR department tries to spin-doctor this into a
benevolent act, praising themselves for graciously giving worthless
presents.