Sendmail?

After the licensing discussions regarding Darren Reed's IPF, I became curious about the current licensing of Sendmail, which is also included in the OpenBSD distribution and source tree. Sendmail's license is at

http://www.sendmail.com/partner/resources/development/milter_api/LICENSE.txt

Note that this license has a large number of specific requirements which, taken together,completely rule out the use of the code in any closed source commercial software project.

This seems to violate the requirements at

http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html

which says, "We want to make available source code that anyone can use for ANY PURPOSE, with no restrictions."

What do folks think about this? Note that a Berkeley-licensed, truly free Sendmail does exist (Sun's Sendmail is derived from it), but it is many years old.

--Brett

Visit your host, monkey.org