Re: any consideration to creating a default template rc.conf.local?

	The problem Diana, is if we provide this then we have to
dodge it on upgrades.

	In My Not So Humble Opinion, we should be ENCOURAGING people to make
customizations by overriding in rc.conf.local instead of changing in
rc.conf - The biggest attraction to me for this is that there is *NO*
/etc/rc.conf.local in the etc sets. Similarly, IMO we should leave
rc.local alone because this makes upgrades a hell of a lot easier.
If we provide a sample inthe /etc set, and will overwrite it if you
extract /etc.

	This is why I actually think we should NOT provide rc.local.  and
other "exmaple" files that do nothing by default. So personally, I'm
in the rc.conf.local loving crowd, and because of that, I think we
shouldn't ship rc.local If we want to provide examples, put them in
man pages or /usr/share, and then document the hell (root.mail, faq's.
etc. etc.) about how to customize an openbsd box whilst touching a
minimum of files which you will have to merge by hand on every
upgrade.

	Heck, I'd actually be much happier with a /etc/whatever.35
as an example for /etc/whatever (such as /etc/rc.local, pf.conf, etc.
etc.) or an /etc/examples/whatever with a little question at the end
of every install defaulting to yes that copied them into place.  A
thorough and sensible job of that coupled with advising
people to use rc.conf.local and rc.local correctly would go a long
way toward making it much easier for people to run upgrades.

	-Bob

* Grumpy <grumpy@grumble-bubble.org> [2004-06-04 11:21]:

--
Bob Beck                                   Computing and Network Services
beck@bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca                           University of Alberta