Re: problem with HP

This is *really* off-topic for the list, which is about OpenBSD
development (see http://www.openbsd.org for more information), but
anyway -

"Grahem" <mackgr@tpg.com.au> writes:
> but another problem is that when my dad bought this
> computer, Windows XP home edition was already
> installed, and there was no back up disk given.
> so, i was wondering if you knew how to back my windows xp
> up...

I've always been quite irritated at shops which will sell computers
with software installed but no installable media. Precisely because it
inevitably leads to situations like this in the hands of inexperienced
users. Now copying any useful data off your machine should not be too
hard - select your files and drag them to whatever removable device
you've got - but installing Windows is another story entirely.

> you see, i really REALLY need to format, becasue recently i recieced
> a virus that changd the ID of my computer, and everythings like,
> wako O_O..

You realize that if you manage to reinstall Windows, it's only
a matter of time before you will find yourself having to clean up
in exactly the same way? You'll be much happier in the long run
installing a more reliable and usable system, such as OpenBSD or
a variant of linux.

Judging from your address it's likely you're located in the Melbourne
area, and while I was unable to find a local OpenBSD resource there,
according to http://www.linux.com.au/ there are at least two
linux-oriented groups in the area, including http://www.luv.asn.au/
and http://www.melbpc.org.au/ . With some help from those people,
you should be able to get any useful data copied off your machine
and put back in after you've installed a better system.

Good luck!

- Peter (from pretty much the opposite end of the Earth)

http://www.blug.linux.no/rfc1149/	http://www.datadok.no/