Re: pfctl very strange error

Matthijs Mohlmann wrote:

> ey,
>
> I've build some firewall rules and now trying to load this rules give
> this:
>
> # pfctl -n -f /etc/pf.conf
> # pfctl  -f /etc/pf.conf
> pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded

> My question is what am i doing wrong ?

You didn't read:
   http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html

Wrong mail list.
Didn't do your _very basic_ homework.

Within a few minutes, I was able to find which lines you had the error
in by slicing up your rule file -- try processing part of the file,
then add a little more until it choked.

Once I found which part choked, I had no trouble looking at the PF FAQ
at that section, looking at the example, and seeing you were
"creative".  Removed the "creativity", your entire rule set loaded
fine.

You can't expect to write a big ruleset, try to load it, get an error,
and come running to the (wrong) list to have us tell you the problem.
You have to do a little work on your own.

Granted, the error is not overly useful (but accurate!)

Nick.
--
http://www.holland-consulting.net