Re: passive/active ftp

on 05/31/01, Mark Nejedlo wisely declared:

> If you are useing port forwarding over an ssh tunnel for ftp, you
> will need to use pasv ftp connections.  Active connections will fail.
> Anything more complex than cd or pwd in ftp requires a connection to
> be opened, which is why you saw the behavior that you did.
> Mark

Yes, I know:

> > and I can set the ftp client to use passive mode.

My question is, how do I do that on the OpenBSD server? The -P flag is the
only thing I can see that is remotely similar, and setting that does not
help.

This is OpenBSD 2.8, i386, generic kernel with netatalk turned on. I'm
starting ftpd from inetd with this line:

ftp  stream  tcp  nowait  root    /usr/libexec/ftpd ftpd -llUSP

By the way, folks, I know about sftp, scp and other solutions. I'm trying
to set up a GUI encrypted (username and password only, that's ok) ftp
solution for my technophobic users, along the lines of
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/biology/computing/instructions/security/portforwarding/
and I specifically need a Mac solution. dreamwvr mentioned SSL enabled
FTP, I'll look into that too. The solution in the webpage above works for
connecting to my Irix boxes, and a SunOS5.6 box. I just can't get it to
work on OpenBSD.

Sincerely,

-Karen

Karen Swanberg              |
Network Admin.              |               GNUmusk, an
Dept. of Geology/Geophysics |        opensource cologne
206 Pillsbury Hall          |
310 Pillsbury Ave. SE       |       Old geeks never die
University of Mn            |          They just revert
Minneapolis, MN 55455       |              to cleartext
(612) 624-6541              |