Re: ipf

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:19:11AM -0400, John Lockard wrote:
> He claims that he's not worried about being taken to court on
> this one, because he knows that he'd win, because the language
> was always implied by the original license.  I think if he
> went to court on this, he'd have no legs to stand on.

That is probably right, however the issue is not of legality, but
of the wishes of the author.  OpenBSD is not about court battles
and corporate style politics, and if I am not mistaken, Theo writes
better code than legal briefs.  IPF is not worth the potential
lost development time and project money to fight over in court.
The OpenBSD project has chosen the honrable thing to do, and just
as the OpenSSH project eclipsed the package it started out to
replace, I have a feeling that within a couple releases no one
will be complaining about the loss of IPF.   (Assuming the
proper ammount of extra resources are available.)

-Paul

--
/Paul M. Hirsch              /
/elektrosatan@voltagenoir.org/