USB hang at boot on 2.9

Help -

My compiled-from-cvs 2.9 hangs on boot whenever a USB device is attached.
The last line printed by the kernel is the ohci initialisation:

ohci0 at pci0 dev 19 function 0 "Compaq USB OpenHost" rev 0x06, OHCI version 1.0, legacy support

I have tried three different USB devices (a 3COM ISDN TA, a Netcomm modem
and a SMC ethernet NIC) and the hang occurs in all cases.

How do I go about debugging this? Setting verbose in UKC doesn't add much
in the way of information and I already have USBVERBOSE compiled in.

-d