Re: Compaq hardware (was: i386 mbr problem)

> > assuming this was an corrupt
> > mbr issue, i tried booting various dos utils and
> > disk/formatting from there, then tried again. same problem.
> > then a different hard drive. same problem. this is a crappy
> > old piece of compaq hardware, but i have two others booting
> > happily into OBSD elsewhere.

I've recently had some experience with older Compaq Deskpro 4000 that
puzzled me for many hours.  Installing OBSD destroyed the mbr and
partition table.

After much fun booting back and forth from Windows 98 (as installed
on the original disk), the Compaq diagnostics (also installed on the
original disk, which I fortuitously had backed up on floppies before
installing), an old copy of M$DOS 6.2, and OBSD 2.9-beta, I discovered
that the controllers are being setup as UltraDMA by OBSD, but W98
sets up the primary controller as UltraDMA and the secondary controller
as "EDMA", while the Compaq diagnostics run the primary as UltraDMA and
the secondary as PIO 4 (and M$DOS only knows about PIO 4).

The temporary solution is to 'config' both controllers as PIO 4 only.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get OBSD to set only the
secondary controller, leaving the primary as UltraDMA.

The long term solution would be to figure out why OBSD incorrectly
assumes that both controllers will do UltraDMA, but W98 knows better?
(I hate it when Windows seems smarter....)

====

pcib0 at pci0 dev 20 function 0 "VIA VT82C586 PCI-ISA" rev 0x31
pciide0 at pci0 dev 20 function 1 "VIA VT82C571 IDE" rev 0x06: DMA,
   channel 0 configured to compatibility,
   channel 1 configured to compatibility
wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <WDC AC33200L>
wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 3098MB, 6296 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 6346368 sectors
pciide0: channel 0 interrupting at irq 14
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
wd1 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 0: <WDC AC33200L>
wd1: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 3098MB, 6296 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 6346368 sectors
pciide0: channel 1 interrupting at irq 15
wd1(pciide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2