Re: i386 mbr problem, again

On  4, May, 2001 at 12:46:56AM -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 3 May 2001, Nick Holland wrote:

[snippage]

> It seems like I have heard of using dd to zero out the first 512 bytes of
> the disk as a work-around. But I also have heard that only the first 447
> bytes should be zeroed. Does anyone have experience with this? (And does
> nayone have any pointers to documentation or notes on working around this
> problem without DOS fdisk?)

I have tried the 'dd if=/dev/zero of=<devicename> bs=512 count=1', e few
times for a Debian install. It worked where the DOS 'fdisk /mbr' thing
didn't. I zeroed all of the first 512 bytes, and I think you can read
about it somewhere on the Debian site (sorry, it's a long time ago).

It works well, no problems, just double check the command before
<ENTER>! ;-)

HTH
	Morten

PS: I just did a search for 'dd mbr' on google, looks good!

--
lynx -source http://home1.stofanet.dk/liebach/pgpkey.html | gpg --import -
UNIX, reach out and grep someone!