Re: AltQ

I ported ALTQ to OpenBSD several months ago, based mostly on the code used to
run ALTQ on NetBSD.  I submitted this back to the author, through his work it
evolved along with several other parts of ALTQ to become version 2.1.

I asked Kenjiro Cho, author of ALTQ, why not do its work at ether_input() and
ether_output(), and he said:

"Packet scheduling should be done from a driver interrupts (tx complete
interrupts) and it is if_start (xx_start in the driver) in the BSD systems."

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Thierry Deval wrote:

 | OK, my best best would be to base alt-q on bpf, or maybe just under it.
 |
 | I'll look at all this HUGE networking code, and see were AltQ could fit.
 | Any suggestion from you gurus are welcome. And when I come back with something,
 | there will certainly be a need for deep cleaning ;-)
 |
 | CYA
 |
 |   Thierry
 |
 | On 24-Jan-00 ark@eltex.ru wrote:

 | E-Mail: Thierry Deval <TDeval@PrimeOBJ.COM>
 | Date: 24-Jan-00
 | Time: 19:37:32
 |
 |          Prime Objective
 |    OpenBSD - Linux - Windows NT
 |  OO Development - Network Systems

---
Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.