Cross compilation

Hello,

How could I make a cross-build for, say, the alpha on an i386 platform ?
I currently own a Multia (quite common), but it has not enough resource for
compiling.
When I want to add tools (like static OpenSSH), there are not always
pre-compiled packages for it (and alpha is not the less provided).
So I'd like to use my Intel beast for the job (it already does daily
releases).

Could we start a discussion to develop a method for cross-compiles ?
(currently 'make cross-tools' does not always succeed)
We could also try to solidify the tools. While I know it's certainly not a
priority, I want to give a hand to this.

Should we consider the last GNU binutils ?
Would the last version of gcc (thanks Marc) be better at it ?

Thierry