Re: RFC#8 - bzip2

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 11:02:52AM +0100, Ed White wrote:
> However, all this ways of using bzip2 are only examples, at the moment I'm
> only saying that bzip2 seems to have a better license and performance than
> gzip, so I'm asking to include it in the dafult src tree.

This is not true. bzip2 needs more memory to decompress stuff. It is a
hindrance on older machines, or would make it downright impossible to
install the base sets without a larger memory footprint (e.g., bump
the minimal requirements for a 386 install from 12M to 16M).
You might think this is not important, but an older i386 can be quite
adequate as a personal firewall box (hint: slow machine, no fans, no
noise...)