Re: glibc : Was gcc 3.x with Openbsd src tree

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:31:41 +0100
Marc Espie <espie@nerim.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 11:47:42PM -0600, Ted Goodridge, Jr wrote:
> > Yes, I know this is unsupported, but I'm not asking for help getting
> > this to work.
> >
> > My question is:
> > I know OpenBSD is eventually moving to the 3.x family of compilers
> > of gcc.
>
> Define `eventually'. From my vantage, it's getting more and more
> doubtful.

A similar item that may need checking on.

I know Marc has done some work on glibc but have to admit I'm not clear
just what so he may have a clue about this. I've not managed to follow
things that closely, so there may well be some unwarranted
simplifications here.

Glibc 2.3 has just been released. It has major changes in handling of
error messages and the pthreads interface. This is so much of a
difference that the Wine team have found that their current product will
not run with it, and they are investigating the need to write their own
implementation of threads.

While Wine undoubtedly has some wierd requirements that are not needed
elsewhere package developers are porters should probably look out for
changes forced by the new glibc interface.